Date: Thursday October 24, 2019 from 8:30 – 4:30
HSC was pleased to partner with Cahdco for full day event looking at tools for enabling collaboration in the housing sector.
Improving Partnerships to Scale Capacity for Non-Profit Housing
While the desire to work collaboratively is rarely lacking, figuring out how to get there is the tricky part. Our keynote speaker, Dr. Carolyn Whitzman, will share tools and lessons learned to help the sector ‘scale up’.
Dr. Whitzman will share their experience leading a six-year community-government-university partnership in Melbourne Australia titled ‘Transforming Housing’ as well as observations from various North American partnership initiatives.
Speaker: Dr. Carolyn Whitzman, Bank of Montreal Visiting Scholar, University of Ottawa
Presentation from Cahdco Non-Profit Development Corporation
National Capital Commission (NCC)
The NCC will provide an overview of the Building LeBreton project and discuss opportunities for collaboration to provide affordable housing.
Speaker: Katie Paris, Director, Building LeBreton
Partnership Cultivation A Case Study from the Anglican Church
Allies to your mission of delivering more housing can be found in a number of places.
This session will feature Peter John (PJ) Hobbs, Director of Mission with the Anglican Diocese
of Ottawa, who will talk about their journey into housing through Cornerstone Housing for Women (a Community Ministry of the Diocese), the diocesan investigation in 2017 into the use of church property for affordable housing, and the emerging projects and partnerships that are currently underway.
Speaker: Peter John (PJ)Hobbs, Director of Mission, The Anglican Diocese of Ottawa
Building Resiliency through Collaboration: Aligning Resources for a Stronger Housing Sector
With the demand for safe and affordable housing growing, housing providers and sector organizations are under increased pressure to maximize their resources to meet their community goals. While many organizations look internally to find efficiencies, some organizations are looking at innovative ways of pooling resources or creating new services to meet the need. This session will feature a range of speakers, sharing their knowledge and experience of new models being explored in the housing sector.
We will learn how our speakers are fostering collaboration through joint procurement, shared services, land trusts and new business lines.
- Greg Dewling, Chief Executive Officer, Capital Region Housing Corporation Download Presentation
- Ray Sullivan, Executive Director, Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation (CCOC) Download Presentation
- Dennis Carr, Principal, DCarr Community Services & Melissa Estable, Manager of Co-operative Housing Development, CHF Canada Download Presentation
Want Something That Doesn’t Exist? Build It.
This session will feature two organizations born from strong sector partnerships. We will learn more about their raison d’etre and the path from concept to reality.
Delegates will have a chance to learn more about:
- HPC Housing Investment Corporation: A new financial entity created to help sector organizations access low-cost, long-term financing with the goal of creating more affordable housing. Founded by BC Housing, Manitoba Housing and the Housing Services Corporation with support from Housing Partnership Canada and CMHC. Presented by Joshua Broadhead, Chief Underwriter, Housing Investment Corporation Download Presentation
- The Community Housing Transformation Centre: Established through a pan-Canadian network of organizations and backed by CMHC, the Centre was created as means of sharing sector tools, knowledge and resources. Presented by Stéphan Corriveau, Executive Director, Community Housing Transformation Centre Download Presentation