With over 370 delegates, this Forum brought together a high caliber of Canadian housing practitioners from the affordable housing sector to engage in a dialogue about shaping the future landscape of housing across the country.
- showcased Canadian innovation and sector-based solutions that work
- explored how organizations are developing capacity to foster entrepreneurship, find alternative financing and support new ways of thinking
- offered resources and practical tools to replicate strategies locally
- enabled attendees to create learning networks
The forum offered three learning streams: Finance, Organizational Transformation and Entrepreneurship
Conference Agenda and Program Guide
Take a look at the 2016 Conference program guide.
Click on the videos below to hear some of the featured plenaries and speakers from the 2016 Regeneration Forum.
OPENING PLENARY// Shape the Future You Wish to See // Mark Hoosein, Capital Region Housing Corporation; Derek Ballantyne, Encasa & Community Forward Fund; Mwarigha, Peel Housing Corporation; Kim O’Brien, Horizon Housing Society; Nicholas Gazzard, Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada & Andy Broderick, Impact Market Development, Vanicty Credit Union. Moderator: Sylvia Patterson, Sylvia Patterson Consulting Inc. [watch video]
PLENARY SESSION 2 // On the Brink of Change- Defining A New Path Forward // Neil Hadden, Genesis Housing Association UK. Moderator: Howie Wong, Housing Services Corporation [watch video]
PLENARY SESSION 3 // Measuring Impact // Caroline Horton, Aeon [download presentation, Portfolio Mission Profit Matrix Template] & Chris Burckhardt, Mercy Housing [download presentation]. Moderator: Mwarigha, Peel Housing Corporation [watch video]
CLOSING PLENARY // Defining A New Future- Call for Action // Ray Sullivan,Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation; Brian Marks, Cochrane DISSAB & Cochrane District Local Housing Corporation; Darlene Cook, Peterborough Housing Corporation; Stephen Giustizia, City of London Community Services; Stéphane Giguère, Ottawa Community Housing; Kerry Hobbs, Regional Municipality of York. Moderator: Sylvia Patterson, Sylvia Patterson Consulting Inc. [watch video]
The presentations are grouped by workshop sessions (A, B and C) and by stream. Click on the presenter name to access the slide deck. You can also hear the audio recordings from each of the workshop sessions.
This stream was for anyone involved in planning, financing or spearheading new affordable housing development projects and asset leveraging. The workshops delved into various areas of financing, such as raising new capital for renewal projects or new builds, viable funding models, and opportunities for leveraging existing assets through partnerships with like-minded community organizations or social impact investors.
- (A) Risk and Resilience: The Future of Housing Finance and Investment: Presentations by: Greg Lawerence, David Santangeli / Audio Recording [here]
- (A) Planning, Development and Financing New Builds through Partnerships: Presentations by: Zack Ramji, [additional resource], Hope Lee / Audio Recording [here]
- (B) Enterprising New Partnership Finance Models: Presentations by: Janet Shim, Andy Broderick / Audio Recording [here]
- (B) Financing For Social Cause- Who Pays?: Presentations by: Kim O’Brien, Kevin Albers, Derek Ballantyne / Audio Recording [here]
- (C) Living with Less Subsidy- Creative Approaches to Financing Affordable Housing: Presentations by: Graeme Hussey, Rick Farrell / Audio Recording [here]
- (C) Looking for Opportunities- Transferring and Refinancing of Social Housing Properties: Presentations by: Deborah Schlichter, Paul Hastie / Audio Recording [here]
This streamed explored the ways in which housing organizations have evolved and adopted new approaches to the social and business delivery of housing. If you are engaged in oversight, management, and financial support of new affordable housing these presentations will provide you valuable insights into how you can change or tweak your current business model to create efficiencies and achieve economies of scale.
- (A) Strategically Managing and Leveraging Assets: Presentations by: Cliff Youdale, Hans Kogel / Audio Recording [here]
- (A) Building Capacity- Sustaining the Non-Profit Housing Sector: Presentations by: Karen Hemmingson, Rob Cressman, Janet Hope, Ray Sullivan / Audio Recording [here]
- (B) Breathing New Life- Reshape, Restructure, Reinvigorate: Presentations by: Darlene Cook, M.S. Mwarigha, Brent Timmerman / Audio Recording [here]
- (B) Growing Your Portfolio or Assets: Presentations by: Bob Nicklin, Stéphane Giguère, Lori-Anne Gagne / Audio Recording [here]
- (C) Systems Supporting Business Transformation: Presentations by: Christine Brutin [Resource 1 & Resource 2], Lisa Goodfellow & Josh Browne, Olga Tasci / Audio Recording [here]
- (C) A United Front: Mergers and Amalgamations: Presentations by: Karen Brodeur, Neil Hadden / Audio Recording [here]
This stream urged attendees to be bold, think big and examine how the sector can shift to a more business-focused, entrepreneurial model that supports social goals. The workshops showcased practical approaches used in the Canadian housing sector to develop new sources of revenue. Shared were the strategies that have allowed housing organizations to take on more risk, diversify and expand into new areas of business.
- (A) Housing Organizations Becoming More Entrepreneurial: Presentations by: Robert Byers, Brian Marks / Audio Recording [here]
- (A) Diversifying and Expanding into New Areas of Business: Presentations by: Kevin Albers, Kit Hickey / Audio Recording [here]
- (B) Socially Hearted, Commercially Minded: Presentations by:Dave E ddy, Janice Abbott / Audio Recording [here]
- (B) Strategic Procurement- Assets: Presentations by: Joshua Scholten, Stephen Giustizia / Audio Recording [here]
- (C) From Administrative to Entrepreneurial Developer: Presentations by: Thom Armstrong, Bryan Lutes / Audio Recording [here]
- (C) Innovative Approaches to Re purpose Local Land Assets for Affordable Housing: Presentations by: Sean Gadon, Jeffrey Neven / Audio Recording [here]
View and download Regeneration Forum 2016 pictures.