In May 2012, Housing Services Corporation held the first Canadian Regeneration Forum for the affordable housing sector. The event featured international speakers, on-the-ground experts and real-life examples. Participants learned regeneration how-to’s, innovative approaches and concrete tools to use on their own projects.
Plenaries, Case Studies and Workshops
The Forum focused on four learning streams: Community, Financing, Capacity and Physical Assets.
Videos of all the keynote presentations are available as well, along with lots of other valuable regeneration-related tools and resources.
GUEST OF HONOUR KEYNOTE // The Honourable Kathleen Wynne, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing [watch video]
PLENARY SESSION 2 // Regeneration: A Tale of Two Cities [watch video]
Anthony Brancatelli, Group Chief Executive, Councilman, City of Cleveland [download] // Danielle Juteau, Executive Director, Corporation d’habitation Jeanne-Mance, Montreal, [download]
The presentations are grouped by workshop sessions (A, B, C and D) and by stream. Click on the presenter name to access their slide deck.
- (A) Vision: Beyond Bricks and Mortar: Presentations by: Paul Johnson, Audrey Andrews, Tracey Vaughan-Barrett
- (B) Social Inclusion: Does it Work?: Presentations by: Janice Abbott, Jim Dunn
- (C) Community-Based Planning: Charette is Not French for Consultation: Presentations by: Luigi Ferrara, Andrea Gabor
- (D) Cutting the Ribbon: Making the Case Where it Matters: Presentations by: John Matheson, Peter Trotscha
- (A) The Last Chapter First: Lessons Learned: Presentations by: Shayne Ramsay, Jim Steele
- (B) Numbers: The Nuts and Bolts of Sources and Uses: Presentations by: Catherine Nethersole, LoriAnn Girvan
- (C) Concrete Problems: Financial Planning for Risk: Presentations by: Joan White, Lois Fine, Sevag Kupelian
- (D) One Plus One Equals More: Innovative Ways to Make Every Resource Count: Presentations by: Tim Welch, David McCarron, Stewart N Pearson, Nora Sobolov
Podcasts – Financing Stream [access podcasts]
Building Financial Foundations: Finding fiscal footing for housing regeneration at Ottawa Community Housing [download]
Funding Resources for Regeneration: Chart – Types of Funding Sources (pdf download)
- (A) Ready? Set? Go? Assess Your Team’s Readiness: Presentations by: Don McBain, Paul Connelly
- (B) ABCs of Development…Architects, Builders, Consultants: Presentations by: Leo DeLoyde, Cynthia A. MacDougall
- (C) Partnerships with a Capital P: The Legal Why and How: Presentations by: John Fox, Howie Wong
- (D) Build for 5, Operate for 50+!: Presentations by: David Cowans, Lee John Felgar
Podcasts – Capacity Stream [access podcasts]
Building the Team: Key Professionals and Consultants [download]
Public-Private Partnerships [download]
Managing Mortgage Maturity: Leveraging Housing Assets to Support Regeneration [download]
- (A) How Long will I Live? Listening to Your Building: Presentations by: Cliff Youdale, Hans Kogel, Mike Mulqueen
- (B) If You Build It? Planning Your Housing for Your Market and Demographic: Presentations by: Christine Pacini, Ed Starr, Mazyar Mortazavi
- (C) Real Green: Loonie Not Looney: Presentations by: Alex Hill, James McGregor
- (D) Green Light: The Intersection of Buildings, People and Stewardship: Presentations by: Anne McIlroy, Fiona Chapman
The views expressed in these presentations are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Housing Services Corporation. The Presentation Materials are confidential and being supplied to you solely for your own information and may not be reproduced, further distributed, or the contents published. No reliance may be placed for any purpose whatsoever on the information contained in these Presentation Materials or the completeness or accuracy of such information.